The State Room was completed in 1931 as a single screen movie theater in a Spanish revival style. It was designed by the architecture firm Reid Brothers who designed many other famous landmarks such as the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco, the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego and 40 movie theaters including the Grand Lake Theater in Oakland.
In 1941 a stucco marquis was added over the entrance and the beautiful steeple like gable roof was squared off. Thus the theater stood, changed of its original spirit for over 60 years to an Art Deco mid-century theater, neon sign visible for miles. Like a light beckoning the population through times of economic trouble, war, and prosperity the State Room marquis glowed; and while always a strong local draw, the theater brought crowds from San Francisco and beyond. The theater closed in the early 1960’s and was used by All Soul's Church for some time.
In 1978, Robert Giorgi bought the building and made renovations and kept the original interior. He added a second floor and created The State Room. Recently Mr. Giorgi restored the original architecture by removing the stucco super structure that had held the marquee. Some of the original filigree had to be painstakingly restored by hand in a process that included restoring the original roof line of the steeple.
Today the State Room is a destination for those special gatherings that mark our lives. The original spirit of meeting in the plaza to celebrate life remains here and echoes from the warmth of the old town walls.
The State Room has been designated a Historic Resource by the City of South San Francisco.
The State Room Today